Red Velvet Cupcakes!

Are you ready for Valentine’s Day? NO!?!

Good thing I have come to your rescue with this amazing, crowd pleasing recipe for red velvet cupcakes!  There’s still time to whip up a batch of these succulent snacks and seduce your sweetheart.

Red Velvet

This qualifies as a go-to recipe for Red Velvet cake.  They are moist, super rich in that gorgeous red color, and best of all you CAN NOT taste the dye in these!  cue angels singing

And despite what certain (WRONG) areas of the country believe I know that a true red velvet cupcake must ONLY be topped with cream cheese frosting.  Light, whipped, finger-lickin’ cream cheese frosting! 

Go on… whatcha waiting for? Get bakin’!

Red Velvet - cut

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting

* 2 1/2 cups flour (don't pack it down!)
* 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup butter, softened
* 2 cups sugar
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup milk (buttermilk is best but any will do)
* 1 (1 ounce) bottle Red Food Color
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat. Spoon batter into 30 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. My oven takes 21 minutes… do not overbake!  Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

Beat together:
6 ozs. softened cream cheese (no low fat BS!)
1/2 cup softened butter
2 teaspoons vanilla

Then gradually add:
4 1/2 to 4 3/4 cups powdered sugar, depending on the consistency you want. If it gets too thick add a tiny amount of milk to thin it a bit.

13 comments:

carrie said...

I have never had Red velvet before. Keep saying I am gonna try it one day...maybe now is the day! Have you ever thought of opening up a cupcake shop? Every time I watch Cupcake Wars, I think of you!

Treasa C. said...

They look absolutely yummy Jess!!

Unknown said...

Boo, I just bought boxed mix from the store. Totally wouldn't have if I knew you were about to share the recipe!!! :(

Sarah said...

I've never had red velvet, either! I do have an allergen-free recipe for them, but I'm sure it won't be as good. Yours are so cute, Jess!

ScrapGoo said...

Ha! Carrie, yes! But I think I would stop enjoying it as much as I do if I had to do it day in and day out. Besides, they are everywhere these days and I would worry that once something else became the "hip thing" (pies are on the rise!) business would suffer.

Besides, this way you guys get my recipes. ;-)

LyndaKay said...

Great sounding recipe and love the wrapper!

Tanya said...

Darn you! There goes the weight watchers for today! I am going to whip up a batch of these today! Although I know they won't look as good as yours! Thanks for the recipe.

Mandi said...

Those look absolutely AMAZING!!! Yum!!!

Megan Aaron said...

did you make that one?! with the perfect icing and the cute pick and wrapper, and adorable presentation and great photo?

ScrapGoo said...

Yup, Meg, that's mine! :-D

Theresa said...

mmmm. looks delicious.

Chrissy said...

WOW! I want to lick my computer screen! That looks delish! Love the arrow through the heart and the decorative paper.

Sandy said...

Thanks for a great recipe! I had store bought ones tonight. Can't wait to make these.